For questions regarding reserving the Black Box Theatre, please email [email protected]
The Blackbox Theatre is a 1,600 square foot blackbox-style theater located on the B2 level of West Hall on Mount Vernon Campus.
It’s the home of GW's student theatre program.The space is extremely versatile and can accommodate many needs. The theatre offers:
- 1,600 square feet of hardwood floors to accommodate any set up desired
- Seating for up to 150 patrons
- Technical staffing for events
- 20 Source-4 Par lighting fixtures and 36 Source-4 Jr. ellipsoidal fixtures
- Full sound and video system including laptop connection, CD/DVD players, 6 wireless handheld microphones and 4 wireless headset microphones
- Full ADA accessibility
- Backstage green room with audio monitors and a soundproof technical control booth
- Floor to ceiling curtain legs (black)
- Theater-width backdrop/projection screen (white)
There is a green room backstage with two stage entrances just off of the theater. It contains two large countertops with mirrors, as well as a sink. Monitors provide an audio feed from the theatre. The green room also provides a route to the restrooms and water fountains without passing through the theatre.
The maximum seating capacity for the theatre is 150 chairs. The standard arrangement includes three rows of stadium-style seating in a curved formation.
As a blackbox-style theatre, there is not a dedicated stage, which means the addition of more chairs will reduce the available space for a performance or presentation. Up to two rows of chairs can be placed on risers to create a stadium-seating feel.